The California Wellness Foundation newsletter titled Portfolio is
published quarterly by the Communications Department. Its purpose is to report on the Foundations efforts to
improve the health of Californians through its grantmaking program. Grantseekers, program
planners, policymakers, news media professionals and representatives from other
foundations can learn about:
- successful projects funded within the Foundations priority areas;
- various approaches used to address local health issues throughout the state;
- results from recently funded research;
- effective funding strategies; and
- current health issues affecting Californians.
In this issue
TCWF funds organizations to address the health
and human service needs of homeless populations.
Grantee in Focus: Environmental Health
Education and community organizing
engage Bay Area Asian residents in advocacy efforts to improve the environmental
health of their communities.
Grantee in Focus: Mental Health
Homeless youth shelter provider uses
case management and clinical counseling as key ingredients to help clients
adopt healthier lifestyles.
Grantee in Focus: Work and Health
TCWF funds The San Diego
Foundation to provide funding to small community-based organizations to
address diverse issues related to employment and health.
Also in this issue:
Grants Awarded In
- 2001 California Peace Prize awardees announced.
- TCWF employees appointed to new positions.
- Grantees advocate for expanded access to emergency contraception.
- Community fellowships in violence prevention awarded.
- Grantee offers resources for population health improvement.
- Leadership recognition program launched in the area of teen pregnancy
- TCWF featured three Grantees in the Foundation's booth at the L.A. Times
Festival of Health.
- Panel discussion on youth violence prevention held.