We adapt our strategies when needed, but the vision, mission and beliefs that drive our work remain the same.
Advancing wellness for the people of California.
The Need for Action
of uninsured adults reported difficulty obtaining medical care when they needed it
1 in 5
state residents don’t have enough resources to cover the costs of basic necessities
1 in 3
working Californians has a job that pays less than $14.35/hour
- We use our resources to advance our mission through grantmaking, investments, sharing our learning and lifting our voice.
- We fund direct services that address the urgent needs people are facing in their communities, particularly the needs of low-income individuals, people of color, youth and residents of rural areas.
- We recognize, encourage and strengthen leaders to be powerful agents of change.
- We support advocacy and civic engagement so that communities can build power and create public policies that reflect their vision, will and needs.
- We trust and invest in nonprofit organizations so that they can operate at full capacity.
- We partner with community-led organizations, philanthropic organizations, businesses, governments and individuals who want to improve health and wellness for Californians.
- We believe health is a human right.
- We believe that everyone--regardless of race, gender, education, economic position or legal status--should have the opportunity to enjoy good health and experience wellness.
- We believe wellness is more than health. Wellness touches upon the potential for healing that encompasses body, mind and spirit and honors the human desire for justice, equity and voice.
- We believe wellness requires social justice; a deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; and sustained efforts to eliminate systemic barriers that prevent access to health care, education, employment and safety.
- We believe in solid research and human stories: data to spotlight the gaps in opportunity and help us understand our impact, and the real experiences of Californians to help us understand what’s working and what’s not.
- We believe we must be courageous and use our voice to speak out and support others championing wellness for everyone.
- We believe we must adapt and respond to the emerging needs of communities, to changing social and political realities, and to new opportunities by being willing to innovate with new tools and technologies as we fulfill our mission.